This event concluded in 2015. Click here to visit the 2018 event page.
Each year, Washington Dulles International Airport offers a one-day open house for thousands of visitors to experience aviation up close. Dulles Day begins early with a 5k and 10k runway run for registered participants. At 10:30, gates open to the airfield, where a huge, free festival awaits all visitors. The signature event is the Plane Pull, an event in which teams of 25 people compete to pull a full-size jet aircraft in the shortest time. Spectators are encouraged to cheer and take photographs. Proceeds from fund-raising activities benefit Special Olympics Virginia.
Please Note: 2015 event information appears below. Visit here for 2016 event information.
This year also marks the introduction of the new “International Row” to the Dulles Day lineup. The exhibit is intended to raise awareness of the non-stop international cities served by Dulles International, as well as to educate travelers about easy ways to expedite security screening with tips from Customs and Border Protection and the Transportation Security Administration. The booth will also welcome Lufthansa Airlines, Aeroflot Airlines, the Russian Embassy and Tourism representatives, and the Belgian Embassy and Tourism offices.
Dulles Day includes (view event site layout map):
- Up to 2500 participants in a 5K and 10K run
- More than 70 teams for the Plane Pull event, including seven-time defending champion Chesapeake, Va., Sheriff’s Office
- TWO planes being pulled - one from FedEx and the other from United Airlines
- More than 40 current and vintage aircraft on display - see list below!
- Classic car show with about 50 cars and motorcycles anticipated for display
- Airfield tours aboard the famous Dulles Mobile Lounges for $1 per person donation
- Kids’ play area with bounce houses, truck pull and dunk-a-cop tank
- “Trackless Train” running back and forth to carry attendees along the length of the site
- Equipment displays by Airports Authority Police, Fire and Rescue and Maintenance
- Take a ride in an Airports Authority fire truck with your $5 donation to Special Olympics
- Police K-9 demonstrations scheduled for 11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Food and beverages from several vendors available for purchase
Door Prizes Offered!
Donate to Special Olympics Virginia at the festival for the opportunity to win some amazing door prizes! One of the prizes just announced is a pair of round-trip airline tickets to Abu Dhabi courtesy of Etihad Airlines. Visit the Special Olympics Virginia representative just inside the festival entrance gate for details.
Aircraft On Display (subject to change):
- U.S. Air Force C-17 cargo jet
- U.S. Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt (close air-support aircraft)
- U.S. Marine Corps MV-22B Osprey (tiltrotor helicopter-plane)
- U.S. Navy HT-28 (Bell Jet Ranger helicopter trainer)
- U.S. Coast Guard Rescue "Dolphin" Helicopter
- DC-3 "Miss Virginia"
- DC-3 “Tabitha May”
- Nakajima Japanese bomber "Kate"
- PBY Catalina (WWII Patrol Bomber)
- Bell 429 Helicopter
- Hughes 500D Helicopter
- TBM Avenger (WWII torpedo bomber)
- DHC-1 Chipmunk (WWII primary trainer)
- L-5 Sentinel (WWII “Flying Jeep”)
- L-39 Albatross (Czech built high-performance jet trainer)
- T-6 Texan (WWII advanced trainer)
- T-28 Trojan (WWII advanced trainer)
- Yak-3 (WWII Soviet fighter aircraft)
- Stearman PT-17 Biplane
- Luftwaffe A310
- Dash 8 (commercial aircraft)
- Piper J-3 Cub (WWII utility aircraft)
- 20 more General Aviation planes
Admission and parking are FREE. Arrive via the Dulles Airport Access Highway and keep right, following electronic "Event Parking" signs to free lots with shuttle buses. All lots and buses are accessible for the disabled. View the event parking map here.
Ride the Silver Line to Dulles Day. A special Silver Line Express bus route will operate from Metrorail's Wiehle-Reston East station FREE OF CHARGE to and from the festival.
The following items are prohibited at Dulles Day: Backpacks, weapons, coolers, pets (except service animals). Cameras are allowed and encouraged!