Dulles International Airport Traveler Update on Coronavirus
What airport passengers need to know about REAL ID and airport travel
The federal government has extended the deadline by which all air travelers 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver's license or another acceptable form of picture identification to fly within the United States. The new deadline is October 1, 2021.
ource: Virginia DMV
Passengers will need to either visit their local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to obtain a REAL ID (indicated by a star in the corner of the license) or plan to travel with another ID such as:
- U.S. Passport (booklet or card) or Foreign-issued passport
- Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST card issued by Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. Department of Defense ID
- Permanent Resident (green) card
- Consult TSA's REAL ID webpage for the complete list
Links to license-issuing agencies in the Washington, D.C. region:
- D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles
- Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration
- Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Q: When is the new REAL ID deadline?
A: The new REAL ID deadline is October 1, 2021. Visit the Department of Homeland Security site to learn more.
Q: What will happen to people who arrive at Dulles International for a flight with only a non-REAL ID drivers license after the new requirement takes effect?
A: Those travelers will be denied passage through the security checkpoint, putting them at risk of missing their flight. Furthermore, airlines won't be obligated to provide credits or refunds.