Dulles International Airport Traveler Update on Coronavirus
Dulles International Airport Traveler Update on COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
What are the latest updates at the airport?
UPDATE 03/27/20 1:30 PM: The following process is for arriving international passengers at Washington Dulles International Airport while screening for the COVID-19 coronavirus is in effect:
All passengers arriving at Dulles International from China, Iran, the Schengen Area of Europe and the U.K. are taken from their flight via Mobile Lounge to the International Arrivals Building, where they are screened by Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and U.S. Department of Homeland Security staff for COVID-19.
The Airports Authority is limiting each Mobile Lounge to 50 passengers or less. At peak times, some passengers may be held on their aircraft for a short time, which allows them to remain seated rather than standing.
After clearing CDC, passengers then continue through the U.S. Customs and Immigration process.
Passengers who have connecting flights should notify their airline representative after clearing CDC screening.
The airport continues to work closely with our federal officials to make this process as quick and smooth as possible. We appreciate everyone's patience and understanding during this time.
UPDATE 03/20/20 12:30 PM: For the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, the well-being of our passengers as they travel through the airport is of prime importance. As we receive constantly evolving updates and health directives regarding COVID-19, we would like to outline how we are taking every step to protect your health and well-being while you travel through the airport and visit our many concessions.
Our mission has always been to manage and work with concessionaires that offer safe, trustworthy, and high-quality service to travelers. Our merchants and their employees are fully trained and committed to the highest sanitation and hygiene practices when it comes to serving customers. Below are immediate steps we and our concessionaires have taken in response to the current national emergency:
- Requested concessionaires to be mindful of safe attendance practices and their employee’s health.
- Requested concessionaires to increase the use of disinfectants and cleaning in “high touch” areas at restaurants and stores, like counters, bars, seating areas, registers, etc.
- Coordinating with our airline and tenant partners, passengers, and employees to closely monitor any change in the status of our region’s health and ensuring awareness of interagency protocols for handling infectious diseases.Encouraging concessionaires to modify operating hours of stores and restaurants according to the changing airline schedules in response to lower passenger counts.
We will continue to monitor and follow the guidelines provided by public health experts at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Virginia Department of Health to keep our concessionaires and customers safe. Our goal is to continue providing passengers with retail and food & beverage options during this unprecedented time in the travel industry.
UPDATE 03/12/20 8:30 AM: Travel restrictions between the U.S. and Europe were recently announced due to coronavirus, effective March 13 at midnight. Please consult with your airline if you have European travel planned.
The safety and well-being of our customers and employees at Dulles International Airport is our top priority.
The airport continues to monitor the situation surrounding the COVID-19 coronavirus and remains in close coordination with our federal partners at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Transportation Security Administration and our state and local health departments and emergency management agencies in preparedness activities related to Coronavirus (COVID-19).
We are following all CDC-recommended protocols for cleaning the airport, including wiping down surfaces and cleaning bathrooms, and have shared with our employees important information provided by the CDC about the virus and following the CDC’s recommendations on healthy habits, such as hand-washing and covering your cough.
For additional information about the COVID-19 coronavirus from the CDC, please visit coronavirus.gov.
What is the airport doing in response to COVID-19?
Dulles International Airport follows the guidance provided by public health experts at the federal Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Virginia Department of Health. In addition to supporting federal agencies that operate at the airport, we are:
- Increasing our use of disinfectant and cleaning in what we call “high touch” areas at the airport, like handrails, escalators, elevator buttons, restroom doors, etc.
- Coordinating with our airline and tenant partners, passengers and employees to closely monitor any change in the status of our region’s health and to ensure awareness of interagency protocols for handling infectious diseases.
- Encouraging passengers who are booked on flights that may be impacted by the recent travel restrictions announced on March 11 to contact their airline directly for more information. Flight cancellations and schedule adjustments are made by the airlines.
- Announcing updates and changes to the status of airport amenities, as follows:
- Until further notice, the USO Lounge at Dulles International Airport is closed.
What can I do to stay healthy while traveling?
Public health officials recommend personal hygiene and frequent hand washing as the best way to prevent illness.
- Wash your hands frequently, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick and stay home when sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- If you are travelling overseas, follow the CDC's guidance.
- Check-in with your airline if you have questions about your travel itinerary.
Where can I find more information?
Information about the novel coronavirus is updated frequently; check the following resources for the most up-to-date information:
- CDC web page on COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Virginia Department of Health: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/surveillance-and-investigation/novel-coronavirus/
- Maryland Department of Health: https://phpa.health.maryland.gov/Pages/Novel-coronavirus.aspx
- District of Columbia Department of Health: https://coronavirus.dc.gov/
- West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources: https://dhhr.wv.gov/Coronavirus%20Disease-COVID-19/Pages/Community.aspx
Temporary Parking Changes at Dulles International Airport
There have been temporary changes to parking at Dulles International Airport in response to COVID19.
Due to COVID-19 operating hours are temporarily changing
Please visit our Adjusted Concessions Shopping and Dining Hours of Operation page to learn more and get the latest updates for shopping and dining at Dulles Interntational Airport.