Student tours of Washington Dulles International Airport are offered year round on a first come, first served basis. Tours are not available on federal holidays or during the weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and the 4th of July. Tours are restricted to student groups only. Please read the information below before requesting your tour.
To reserve a tour at Dulles, please complete the tour request form. Then click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the form. You may also fax the form to 703-572-6817. If you have any questions, please call 703-572-6860.
Safety and Security
Students will learn how the Airport provides for the safety of its passengers. Students will tour the security screening checkpoint and one of the airport's fire stations. They will also see a demonstration of the MWAA Police K-9 explosives detection team and meet some of the members of the MWAA Police Community Liaison team.
Schedule: First Thursday of the month, 10:00am-12:30pm
Suggested Age: Best suited for ages 5-18
Path of a Passenger
Students will have the opportunity to follow the path of a traveling passenger and learn first hand what they need to do when catching a flight at the airport. Students will speak with an airline representative about topics such as ticketing, checking luggage, finding their gate, etc. Students may also speak with the Transportation Security Administration about the security checkpoint process. Due to security regulations and time constraints, we cannot guarantee that students will get on an airplane during the tour.
Schedule: Second Thursday of the month, 10:00am-12:00pm
Suggested Age: Best suited for ages 7-13
Students with an expressed interest in aviation can learn more about how an airport operates. Students will visit the Airport Operations office to question employees about aviation technology and practice. Students may also learn about the different careers available at an airport.
Schedule: Third Thursday of the month, 9:00am-11:00am
Suggested Age: Best suited for ages 14-18
Dogs of Dulles
Students will have the opportunity to see demonstrations by the different types of K-9 teams that work at Washington Dulles International Airport and learn for what kinds of things the dogs search. This includes MWAA Police and TSA dogs trained to detect explosives, and Customs and Border Protection dogs trained to detect drugs and agricultural products.
Schedule: Fourth Thursday of the month, 10:00am-12:00pm
Suggested Age: Best suited for ages 5-12
- Reservations must be received at least two weeks in advance of your participation date.
- Tours are not guaranteed until you receive a confirmation from the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority detailing your participation date and program guidelines.
- Groups should have between 10–25 students to participate. Groups larger than 25 students cannot be accommodated on one tour. Please contact us to see if we can accommodate your group on multiple dates.
- Tours are subject to change or cancellation based upon weather, Airport conditions, and staffing availability.
- MWAA requires at least one chaperone for every ten students. We suggest one chaperone for every five students for students under the age of eight. A maximum of 4 adults on any one tour is allowed.
- Adults will need to bring government-issued photo identification on the day of the tour.
Tour Program Evaluations
Your feedback is essential to this program. After your tour, please complete the tour evaluation form. Then click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the form. You may also fax the form to 703-572-6817.
Celebrate your child’s birthday in one of the most iconic buildings in America…Washington Dulles International Airport’s Main Terminal!
If you wish to reserve a birthday party, please fill out all information requested on the attached form and submit it as soon as possible. You may email it to DullesBirthdayParties@mwaa.com or fax it to 703-572-6817. If you have any questions, please call 703-572-6860.
Available Birthday Party Packages (Please note: Previous descriptions, applications, and prices are no longer valid as of 5/1/19).
727 Package Includes:
- 3 hours of reserved table space
- Free parking for party duration for up to 12 vehicles
- Party host/hostess
- One activity (see activity options)
- Cost: $350
777 Package Includes:
- Items in 727 package, plus:
- Festive tableware/utensils in a choice of colors
- One bottle of water for each participant (children and adults)
- Cost: $400
747 Package Includes:
- Items in 777 package, plus:
- One organized game for group/craft (e.g. airplane painting/making, Pin the Propeller on the Plane) for group
- Cost: $450
A380 Package Includes:
- Items in 747 package, plus:
- 1 extra hour of reserved table space (total of 4 hours)
- Goody bags for each child
- Cost: $500
Activities (Choose one):
- Paper Airplane making
- Dulles scavenger hunt
- K9 demonstration
- Airport Bingo
- Paint-Your-Own Airplane
- Make-Your-Own Clothespin Airplane
- Make-Your-Own Felt Airplane
- Sand art airplane making
Extras (Optional): Please see the attached birthday application to review the optional extras that can be added to any party package.
Information to Know…
- Birthday parties are held on selected Saturdays only, starting at 10 am.
- Birthday party size is limited to 15 children, including the birthday child and his or her siblings. Adults should not exceed 12.
- To check date availability, please send an email to DullesBirthdayParties@mwaa.com or phone 703-572-6860. Once a date is confirmed, there will be a 10 day no-obligation hold.
- To reserve a date, a $150 deposit, along with a completed reservation form, must be submitted within 10 days of date confirmation. Checks should be payable to MWAA.
- Deposits and completed reservation forms must be received at least one month prior to your reserved date. The balance is due at least two weeks prior to the scheduled party. No refunds are permitted.
- The parent or guardian planning the party should arrive 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start time for setup.
- A Dulles Airport staff member will be available to greet you and your guests upon arrival and assist you during your party reservation time.
- If table coverings, tableware, balloons, etc. have been ordered, the Dulles Airport staff will prepare the party space prior to your arrival. Please note: additional decorations may be brought to the airport, but confetti and hanging decorations are not permitted.
- Cake, ice cream, food, and beverages may be brought to the airport. However, alcoholic beverages are not permitted. All food and beverages will need to remain in the party area.
- You are responsible for supplying your own candles and/or lighter.
- The number of guests (children and adults) attending the party needs to be provided at least one week prior to the scheduled party date.
- Music is allowed, but it will need to be kept at a lowered volume. You are responsible for providing your own (appropriate) music.
- Once your party is confirmed, and payment is received, you will be contacted with specifics, such as meeting location, directions (if needed), and determining color scheme for tableware (if applicable).
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority accepts checks (payable to MWAA) or credit cards as payment for birthday party reservations. A $150.00 deposit must be submitted with the reservation. No reservation will be confirmed without receipt of this form and payment. For further information or to pay by credit card, please call 703-572-6860.
Please email/mail the form & payment to:
Washington Dulles International Airport
Airport Manager’s Office
PO Box 17045
Washington Dulles International Airport
Washington, DC 20041